The City of West Torrens reviews expiations based on the Council Expiation Review Policy.
(This Policy is available on line or by contacting 8416 6333 and requesting a copy to be sent to you.)
For your convenience and easy reference, we have compiled the Expiation Review Information Guidelines.
The Policy allows for consideration of a review on specific grounds. They are as follows:
- If you did not commit the offence(s).
- If there was a processing error, including an oversight of the facts or a procedural error has occurred rendering the expiation notice defective.
- That the expiation notice should not have been issued with respect to the offence(s).
- If it is decided that the alleged offender should be prosecuted for the offence(s).
- If a reviewing officer is satisfied that the offence is "trifling". (Refer to "Expiation Review Information Guidelines" for explanation of trifling grounds).
As per Council's Policy only one review will be considered and the Council's determination is final. However, if you are unhappy with the outcome of the review, you may elect to be prosecuted.
Nothing in the Policy prevents you from making a complaint to the Ombudsman at any time under the Ombudsman Act 1972.
In most cases reviews are only accepted from the expiated person to their legal representatives. If the expiated person authorises someone else to make the application on their behalf, the outcome of the review will be sent to the expiated person, not the person authorised to make the application.