Fences and retaining walls

You need Development Approval to build a fence, privacy screen or retaining wall if any of the following apply:

  • The site is located in a designated flood zone, subzone or overlay identified under the Planning and Design Code
  • The site is listed as a Heritage Place
  • The site is located in a Historic Area Overlay under the Planning and Design Code
  • The fence will be built with masonry and will be more than one metre high
  • A retaining wall will retain a difference in ground level greater than one metre
  • A brush fence will be closer than three metres to an existing/ proposed building (Class 1 or Class 2 under the Building Code)
  • The fence (including a combined retaining wall and fence) will be higher than 2.1 metres.
  • A fence that is (or to be ) a safety fence for a swimming pool or spa pool which is approved for construction, or requires approval for construction, on or after 1 July 1993
  • A fence that exceeds (or would exceed) 1 metre in height within 6 metres of the intersection of 2 boundaries of land where those boundaries both face a road (other than where a 4 x 4 corner cut-off has already been provided (and is to be preserved)

Note 1: a cut off may be required if your property is on a corner.

Note 2: when land either side of a fence is at different levels, the height of the fence includes any retaining wall which the fence is attached to. The total height of the fence is measured from its lowest level.

If you are not sure whether your property is a Heritage Place or in a designated flood zone or Historic Area, please contact us.

PlanSA has a checklist for swimming pool fencing and retaining which can be found here.

Applying for Development Approval

When you are ready to apply for Development Approval for a fence or wall go to Development applications for further details. 

More information

Email the City Development Team or contact 8416 6333 Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm.