Home activity

  •  Downloads 1

Home activity is any business run by the resident of a property. The business must comply with strict guidelines set out in the Planning, Development and Infrastructure Regulations 2017. It must not have any detrimental effects on the local area at any time.

Home activity guidelines

home activity means a use of a site by a person resident on the site— 

(a) that does not detrimentally affect the amenity of the locality or any part of the locality; and

(b) that does not require or involve any of the following:

            (i) assistance by more than 1 person who is not a resident in the dwelling;

            (ii) use (whether temporarily or permanently) of a floor area exceeding 30 square metres;

            (iii) the imposition on the services provided by a public utility organisation of any demand or load greater than that which is ordinarily imposed by other users of the services in the locality;

            (iv) the display of goods in a window or about the dwelling or its curtilage;

            (v) the use of a vehicle exceeding 3 tonne tare in weight

Is development approval required?

You will need development approval if the home activity does not comply with the home activity guidelines.

Find out how to apply for approval

What types of activity may cause a problem?

Activities that may cause a problem for the surrounding area may include businesses that:

  • create repeated  prolonged or loud noise,
  • operate outside normal working hours,
  • carry out activities that produce smoke  smells  fumes dust,
  • increase traffic in the street from delivery vehicles or customer parking.

What is not a home activity?

The following activities are not considered to be home activities:

  • mechanical repairs,
  • panel beating,
  • spray-painting,
  • activities that involve noisy machinery.

Food businesses

Check with Council’s Public Health Section regarding your legal requirements under the Food Act and associated regulations and standards for activities that involve food:

  • manufacture,
  • preparation,
  • transportation,
  • storage.

What happens if I don’t comply?

If you don't comply with any of the criteria for the operation of a home business, you will need to make a development application to the Council.

Council’s approval is not assured and the application may be placed on public notification and/or referred to other relevant agencies.