Lunch box food safety
- Wash your lunch box with warm, soapy water, rinse and dry.
- Prepare food hygienically - wash your hands with soap and dry before, during and after food preparation.
- Use clean utensils and chopping boards to prepare your food.
- Wash fruit and vegetables thoroughly.
- Store your food in the refrigerator.
- Store perishable foods such as dairy products, cut fruit and vegetables, eggs and sliced meats in a cool lunch box.
- Use an insulated lunch box (or a regular lunch box) with freezer block or frozen drink to keep your lunch cold.
- Keep your packed lunch away from sunlight or heat sources.
- Once your food is out of temperature control it should be consumed within four hours (including preparation time). Discard perishable foods not eaten that day.
Download and print out our 'Refrigerator etiquette' poster for your workplace.