Paying your rates
Your rates notice is issued in July each year.
Why do you need to pay your rates?
Rates are collected from all businesses and residents within West Torrens to enable the City of West Torrens to manage our city and to provide services to our community.
- aged care programs
- bicycle tracks
- children's and youth services
- community bus
- community development programs
- community services such as aged care services
- environmental management
- garbage collection and recycling
- health services
- information services
- library services
- on street parking
- parks and gardens
- recreation facilities
- road construction and maintenance
- stormwater drainage
- street lighting
- street trees
- traffic management.
Read a copy of our 2021-22 Annual Business Plan summary.
You can download the Annual Budget and Business Plan Summary for 2021/22 on this page.
When you receive your rates notice, you can pay:
- in full by the due date or
- in four quarterly instalment.
You can make weekly, fortnightly or monthly payments of your rates by establishing a payment plan via the 'My Rates' section of our website. Simply select 'Register for this service' and follow the onscreen instructions to organise your personalised payment plan.
Paying by instalment
- First instalment due 1 September 2021
- Second instalment due 1 December 20201
- Third instalment due 1 March 2022
- Fourth instalment due 1 June 2022
If paying by instalment, you will receive a separate notice about 30 days before each payment is due.
How to make your payments
There are a number of ways rates can be paid.
- pay your rates online
- by BPay - biller code 88567, reference number is the rates assessment number (6 digits)
- at Australia Post offices
- contact council
- in person at the Civic Centre
- setting up a deduction payment plan - select 'My Rates', click 'Register for this Service' then complete registration information.
Rate payments must be received on or before the due date shown on the rates notice. If payments are late:
- we must charge a two per cent fine under State Government legislation
- further interest is added each month until full payment is received.
Legal action may also be taken without further notice being provided.
For more information about payment of your rates notice email the Service Centre or contact 8416 6333.
Ratepayers can apply to us to postpone the payment of their rates if they:
- hold a State Seniors Card or
- are eligible to hold a State Seniors Card and have applied for one.
The property shown on the rates notice must be their principal place of residence and must be owned by the principal ratepayer or the principal ratepayer and their spouse.
How to apply
Complete the Postponement of rates for seniors online form or download the Postponement of rates for seniors form and return it to the City of West Torrens Service Centre.
Ratepayers finding it difficult to pay their rates by the due date may make alternative payment arrangements by contacting us. We
treat all enquiries regarding payment changes with strict confidence and privacy.
Postponement of rates for seniors information sheet
Postponement of rates for seniors online form
Postponement of rates for seniors form
Email the Service Centre or contact 8416 6333.