Libraries in the West Torrens Area
Thebarton Institute Library established (cnr Henley Beach Road/Taylors Road (now South Road))
Hilton Institute Library opened with 300 books.
City of West Torrens library opened (Cnr Brooker/Davenport Terrace, Hilton by Mayor Steve Hamra).
A Pictorial History of West Torrens/D.M. Marles p81
Gateway City/Peter Donovan p65
Enjoy this fun film produced by the Commonwealth Film Unit in 1966.
This film about Library services in Australia shows some of the work of the Commonwealth Parliamentary Library, the National Library with its varied resources and examples of State, University, special and public services suggesting their value in meeting needs for information at all levels in 1966.
The library movement has become a vital part of Australian life.
Whilst we have a digital catalogue and less coiffured hair, like 1966 the 2020 libraries still provide these same services to community members with home pick-ups, home deliveries, mobile library, storytime and research facilities. The 2020 library is also now a hub with computers, internet access, online learning, eBooks and various programs on offer to all members of the community.
West Torrens Library Bookmobile opened.
Thebarton Public Library moved to a circa 1912 house of Federation influence purchased from the Bridgman family at 160 South Road.
Thebarton Public Library Former chambers of the Thebarton Council converted for use as a library.
Gateway City/Peter Donovan p68
Hamra Centre Library opened named in honour of long-serving Mayor Steve Hamra and his wife Marie.
Gateway City/Peter Donovan p98