•  Downloads 2

A verge is the strip of land between the footpath and the kerb and road. It’s also the land on roundabouts and other traffic control devices.

Verges are treated with grass, compacted rubble or plants.

Who looks after the verge

You are encouraged to maintain the verge at the front and side of your house. This means:

  • watering
  • mowing
  • weeding.

Application form

Alternatively, you can download the form and return to Council.

Council assistance

We can provide help if you are aged or have disability and are unable to mow your verge. If eligible your verge lawns can be mowed up to eight times per year.

Reducing maintenance

To help reduce verge maintenance lawn can be replaced with alternatives such as:

  • indigenous grasses
  • groundcovers
  • compacted rubble.

Please note we can supply compacted rubble or garden loam (if existing materials are unsuitable) only. Other treatments are your expense.

Contact us via email to find out more about this service or submit a request online.

Urban Verge Management Policy

Redeveloping a verge

You may develop the verge adjacent to your property.

Before undertaking any work, contact us to make sure that your plans meet the required standards.

What you can plant on the verge

You can plant ground covers and small shrubs.

You cannot plant trees. If you would like a tree to be planted contact us.

What we can do

If the existing materials are unsuitable we can:

  • supply garden loam
  • replace with compacted rubble
  • water young trees planted by us.

What we can’t do

  • plant new lawn
  • excavate existing material
  • supply plants
  • look after new plants.

Requests and reports

Request a service or report a problem online.

Email the Service Centre or contact 8416 6333.