Greening West Torrens
Tree selection and planting
Trees chosen for planting through our greening program are selected according to:
- overall suitability of the tree for shade, avenue planting, biodiversity conservation, amenity, habitat value
- size of the site where the tree is to be planted
- growth rate and lifespan
- soil conditions
- pest and disease tolerance
- existing infrastructure and streetscape
- other uses of the site
- public safety
- maintenance needs
- other services and utility providers.
Native versus exotic trees
Site suitability is considered when choosing between evergreen or deciduous varieties.
Native trees may be chosen where site conditions are suitable. However, in some situations it is more practical to plant exotic trees.
Download fact sheets for the current palette of street trees within West Torrens below:
Box elder maple sensation
'Bradford' callery pear pyrus calleryana
Capital callery pear
Chinese tallow sapium sebiferum
Euky dwarf eucalyptus leucoxylon
Golden rain koelreuteria paniculata
Hackberry celtis occidentalis
Maidenhair ginkgo biloba
Melia azedarach 'elite'
Smooth-barked Apple Myrtle