If you or a group of people are concerned about a particular matter and would like to bring it to the attention of the Council, you may wish to submit a petition.
A petition is a document containing the names, signatures and addresses of a group of people who support the cause which is the subject of the petition.
Once the petition has been received it will be presented to Council for consideration and the Head Petitioner will be advised of Council's decision.
Please note: if you sign a petition your name and address may be made public.
Submitting a petition
View the Code of Practice - Procedures at Meetings to find out how to format your petition.
The legislation which underpins the Code is the Local Government (Procedures at Meetings) Regulations 2013.
The Code specifies that each page of the petition must:
- be legibly written, typed or printed
- clearly set out the whole of the request or submission of the petitioners (at the top of each page)
- clearly show the name of each person with their signature and address
- be addressed to the Council and delivered to the Civic Centre
- clearly state the name and contact details of the Head Petitioner.
Pages or names that don’t meet this format cannot be counted when Council considers the petition. Council is unable to accept online petitions through Change.org or other similar websites.
Prepare your petition using the petition proforma available.
Provide a covering letter with the petition detailing the name, address and contact details of the Head Petitioner(s) to whom we can address correspondence.
Submit the petition to Council.
After your petition is received
- Your petition will be considered by Council and you will be advised of the time and date of the meeting.
- Members of the public are welcome to attend all Council meetings.
- If you wish to make a deputation to Council in support of your petition, please refer to the deputations page for further information.
Notification of the outcome
The relevant manager will contact you about the status of your petition once a recommendation is made by the Council.
Email the Governance Team or contact 8416 6333.