COVID-19 information. Read more.
When is it collected?
What goes into your organics bin
- food scraps
- cut flowers
- hair - human and pet
- kitty litter - compostable only
- lawn clippings
- pet poo
- small branches up to 15cm wide x 60cm long
- twigs and bark
- compostable bags
- paper or cardboard - ripped or shredded eg heavily soiled pizza boxes
- tissues and paper towel
Find out more about food scraps recycling
What not to put in your organics bin
- dirt, sand or soil
- garden and other tools
- household waste
- irrigation hoses
- kitty litter - crystal type
- painted or treated timber
- plant pots and trays
- plastic of any kind
- rocks and stones.
Odour and pest control
- Freeze particularly smelly food waste eg. seafood in paper and place in your organics bin just before collection day.
- Cover or mix food waste with other organic material eg. garden clippings, shredded paper, used paper towel.
- If you don't have other organics to put in the bin or you have large amounts of food waste, wrap your scraps in newspaper to absorb moisture or put them in a compostable bag. This will also prevent food sticking to the inside of your bin.
- Ensure that your bin is undamaged and the lid shuts completely to retain odours and reduce pests.
- Store pet poo in a separate, open container and empty it into your organics bin just before collection day.