As COVID-19 restrictions begin to ease libraries across the state are re-opening. We've re-opened the Hamra Centre Library, but we stress that it is not 'business as usual'.
The Hamra Centre will be open from 10am - 2pm, Monday to Friday, however please check back to our website and social media for updates as the COVID-19 situation changes.
We have been working with both the Public Libraries Service and Local Government Association to ensure that we are providing as safe environment as possible for our valuable customers. As a result of this, we have restricted visiting times to our Centre, however our 'Click, Call and Collect' service will be operational during usual Library business hours. At this stage, due to social distancing requirements, the Mobile Library Service is still closed, but home delivery services for those who need them are still available.
Please read the following information before visiting the Hamra Centre Library. Browse and borrow services only will be available.
While visiting the Hamra Centre
- You will be allocated a time slot number and provided with 20 minutes to visit, browse, borrow and leave.
- Have your Library card ready so you can borrow items.
- Adhere to the 1.5m social distancing rule.
- No more than one person per aisle.
- All borrowed items must be returned via the returns chute, with the exception of toys, board games, jigsaws and sporting equipment; these can be left in the Hamra Centre foyer.
- Do not visit if you have a cough, fever, sore throat, shortness of breath or other flu or cold like symptoms.
- Do not visit if you have been in close contact with someone diagnosed with COVID-19 or if you are required to self-isolate for any other reason.
- Please be mindful how many people visit at once as we can only allow 20 people in the Library at any one time.
What's Currently available
'Click, Call and Collect' service
Place items on hold via the Libraries SA app, or reserve items online, and, once you've been notified that they are available, call us on 8416 6228 to organise a time to collect your items from the Hamra Centre Library. We even have a drive through option!
If you are having difficulties placing holds, or if you don't have the Libraries SA app, or cannot reserve items online, please call us on 8416 6228.
Click here for more information.
Themed book packages
Call us and our staff will put together a selection of books based upon your chosen theme - eg children's books, crime fiction, youth fiction etc. Once your collection is ready we will notify you and you can collect them.
Online live Baby Time, Toddler Time and Story Time sessions
To view these check out our Facebook page.
Home Library service
Our Home Library Service has been expanded to include those residents who are vulnerable and isolated due to COVID-19. If you are unable to use our 'Click, call and collect' service, please contact us on 8416 6228 to see if you are eligible.
Our online services will be available as usual. These include:
Returning library items
You can return most library items to the Hamra Centre Library using the external returns chute.The external returns chute is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Please note that certain items i.e. toys, kits, costumes, sporting equipment and games (including jigsaws and board games) cannot be returned through the chute. They can be returned to the Hamra Centre Library foyer Monday to Friday, 10am - 2pm, or you can call us on 8416 6228 to organise their return.
Limited access - Monday - Friday 10am - 2pm
- Browse and borrow (20 minute time slot)
What's currently unavailable
- Public computer access
- Printing and copying
- Scanning and faxing
- Public laptops
- Toy Library
- Justice of the Peace Service
- Mobile Library Service
- Face-to-face programs
What we've been doing
- Cleaning (including our carpets)
- Relocating our on-hold shelves to a more convenient location
- Updating computer software for when we're back online
- Collection updating and maintenance
- Library database maintenance
- Updating our Local History collection - digitising books, updating records, collection maintenance
- Creating new collections
- Updating signage
- Some staff training - including AUSLAN
- Installed a Zebra crossing near the external chute to provide safer passage for users
Thank you to our wonderful community for being patient during this time. As the COVID-19 situation is continually changing, we are having to adapt as quickly as we can.