In order to help meet the growing needs of our community and provide better and more user-friendly spaces, the City of West Torrens is upgrading a number of its larger recreational spaces in West Torrens including Apex Park, Lockleys Oval, Camden Park and Weigall Oval.
Lockleys Oval upgrade
The upgrade of Lockleys Oval aims to improve and consolidate the current buildings and facilities at the northern end of the oval for the user groups and enhance the amenity of the site.
The staged upgrade will include
- demolition of existing buildings and facilities associated with football, soccer, baseball and the pigeon club, in addition to the public toilet block on eastern side of oval and Guide Hall and riding arena on the northern side of oval
- construction of a new two-storey clubroom including player and umpire change rooms, showers, toilets, first aid, storage, gymnasium, office space, meeting room, kitchen/canteen/bar and social/function amenities to cater for five sporting codes - Australian Rules football, baseball, soccer, cricket and tennis clubs
- closure of the vehicle entrance on Netley Avenue
- creation of a network of internal roadways and car parking areas to service new shared pavilion
- construction of four additional tennis courts to provide six courts (in total) on site.
Demolition works and the construction of the new facility are currently underway. The tennis courts, carparking, lighting and the realignment of the oval will be undertaken concurrently to the building construction and began in September 2019.
Restrictions to Lockleys Oval and sections of carparking will be in place while works are being undertaken. It is anticipated all the works will be completed by early 2020.
Funding for this project has been received from the Australian Government Department of Infrastructure and Regional Development through the Community Development Grants program.
View plans of the proposed redevelopment