In order to help meet the growing needs of our community and provide better and more user-friendly spaces, the City of West Torrens is upgrading a number of its larger recreational spaces in West Torrens including Apex Park, Lockleys Oval, Camden Park and Weigall Oval.
Apex Park upgrade
Stage 1 of this upgrade is underway and will help improve the versatility of the site, as well as safety and amenity and enhancement of the natural environment. Works are scheduled to be completed November 2019.
Elements of Stage 1 include
- earthworks to modify site levels
- construction of a new community building
- construction of a horse arena and associated sheds and bridle track
- new car parks and access roads
- a new path network and retaining walls around the southern perimeter of the wetland
- a new duck pond with boardwalk and water recirculation system
- shelters and barbecues
- resurfaced and re-purposed tennis courts
- new basketball court
- new irrigated lawn.
In order to achieve final design outcomes, a number of trees were required to be removed. The main species removed was the Casuarina glauca, which is a declared weed species due to its prolific spread of root suckers.
Council plans to replant a greater number of new and more appropriate tree species into the reserve once construction and building work is completed.
During the construction period, Apex Park (including the playground) will be closed to the public. Nevertheless there are a number of playgrounds in close proximity to Apex Park. These are located at:
- Poplar Street, West Beach
- Northern Ave, West Beach
- Mountbatten Ave, West Beach
- Halsey Road, Fulham
- Along the foreshore at West Beach (Seaview Road).
The Lockleys Guides and Scouts SA will share a licence for the new community facility, however it is also expected to be available for community use/hire in the future.
Funding for this project has been received from the Australian Government Department of Infrastructure and Regional Development through the Community Development Grants program.
Download a copy of the plans