Development approval for internal building work
You need approval for internal work when
Building is heritage listed
The building is listed as a heritage place as outlined in the West Torrens Council Development Plan
Demolition is involved
Demolition of any part of the building is involved - other than the removal of fixtures, fittings or non load-bearing partitions
Affects structural soundness
Proposed works will adversely affect the structural soundness of the building, or the health or safety of any person occupying or using it, including but not limited to:
- alterations that will affect exit paths or travel distances
- repositioning or modification of fire safety items (ie smoke detectors, sprinklers, exit or emergency lighting, fire extinguishers etc)
- modifications effecting the safe movement and access throughout the building and egress of people from the building (ie changes to required paths of travel to emergency exits, stairs, ramps, door widths, door swings, emergency door hardware
- modifications affecting the equitable access or egress for people with disability
- modifications proposed to be undertaken to wet areas - other than the replacement of existing fixtures, vessels, fittings.
! If none of the above applies to your internal building work you don’t need development approval.
If you're not sure if your property is a heritage place or in a flood prone area
Contact us if you’re unsure if your property is:
- a state heritage place
- a local heritage place
- located in a Historic Conservation Area
- in a flood prone area.
Applying for development approval
When you are ready to apply for development approval for internal building work go to the How to apply page for instructions.
Email the City Development team or call 8416 6333 Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm.