Internal building work

Development approval for internal building work

You do not need development approval to repair, maintain or alter the inside of an existing building unless any of the following apply:

  • the building is listed as a heritage place as outlined in the West Torrens Council Development Plan
  • demolition of any part of the building is involved -  other than the removal of fixtures, fittings or non load-bearing partitions
  • proposed works will adversely affect the structural soundness of the building, or the health or safety of any person occupying or using it, including but not limited to:
    • alterations that will affect exit paths or travel distances
    • repositioning or modification of fire safety items (ie smoke detectors, sprinklers, exit or emergency lighting, fire extinguishers etc)
    • modifications effecting the safe movement and access throughout the building and egress of people from the building (ie changes to required paths of travel to emergency exits, stairs, ramps, door widths, door swings, emergency door hardware
    • modifications affecting the equitable access or egress for people with disability
    • modifications proposed to be undertaken to wet areas - other than the replacement of existing fixtures, vessels, fittings.

If none of the above applies to your internal building work you don’t need development approval.


If you're not sure if your property is a heritage place or in a flood prone area

Contact us if you’re unsure if your property is:

  • a state heritage place
  • a local heritage place
  • located in a Historic Conservation Area
  • in a flood prone area.


Applying for development approval

When you are ready to apply for development approval for internal building work go to the How to apply page for instructions.


More information

Email the City Development team or call 8416 6333
Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm

Related content