Before you demolish an existing building you must apply for development approval. When you’re ready to make your application go to the How to apply page for instructions.


What to submit with your development application

Submit a completed Development Application Form and two sets of plans and specifications.

The plans and specifications required are:

  • site plan (scale 1:200 minimum) showing the boundaries and dimensions of the site and any relevant easements
  • structure outline with setbacks from boundaries indicated
  • existing structures on the site
  • driveway/site access location points
  • written description of the building construction including external walls, floor and roof construction
  • where partial demolition of a building is to be undertaken, evidence that the remaining structure will not be structurally impaired
  • building floor area to be demolished in square metres (for calculation of application fee)
  • details of hoardings and/ or scaffolding to be located on public land such as a footpath or roadway (as applicable); a separate application for a hoarding license must be lodged with Council giving full details of location, pedestrian access, construction details, lighting and proposed date of erection and removal before its erection.


Construction Industry Training Board levy payment form

Payment of the CITB levy is required if the project value is over $40,000

Payment can be made at


Application fees

Some application fees may be applicable. Contact us to see if they apply to your demolition.


Other authorities and legislation

You may need to contact or seek approval from other authorities such as:

  • SA Power Networks 
  • SA Water
  • Boral Energy (gas)
  • Telstra
  • Department of Industrial Affairs.

There may also be specific requirements for demolition contained in legislation such as the Occupational Health Safety and Welfare Act 1986 or Environment Protection Act.


More information

Email the City Development Team or call 8416 6333

Related content