All dogs over three (3) months of age residing in West Torrens must be registered with council.
Dog registrations expire 30 June each year. Registration renewals can be made from 1 July and must be paid by no later than 31 August.
If payments are not made within the required timeframe, a late fee will apply. Keeping an unregistered dog is an offence under the Dog and Cat Management Act 1995. Fines may apply to an owner responsible for a dog which is not registered.
To register a dog you must be over 16 years of age.
Changes to legislation
On 1 July 2017 new registration fees were implemented and new state legislation came into effect requiring dogs to be registered as a 'standard dog' or a 'non-standard' dog.
Download the fact sheet. pdf (86KB)
How to register your dog with us
If you have recently moved into the City of West Torrens and taken ownership of a dog, or your puppy has turned 3 months, you will need to register your dog with us.
- Complete a Dog registration application form
Submit the form with the copies of certification for rebates and correct fee at the Civic Centre or by post. If your dog is already registered with us or another council, please provide the current registration certificate so we can charge the transfer fee only.
You’ll be issued with a registration certificate and a registration tag. Fix the tag to your dog’s collar. Your dog must wear the tag at all times to show that it is registered. The tag also helps to identify the dog should it be found.
Fees, concessions and rebates
Dog registration fees are set by the City of West Torrens and approved by the Minister for Sustainability, Environment and Conservation.
Rebates are available for the following:
- De-sexed dogs: when a de-sexing certificate is provided from your vet/AWL/RSPCA
- Microchipped dogs: when a microchip certificate* identifying owner and current contact details is provided
- Trained: when evidence of 'obedience trained' or 'obedience titled' is provided.
*NSW Pet Register information is not available outside of NSW so please register your dog's microchip details with www.petaddress.com.au.
Concession discounts are available on presentation of the following concession cards:
- Pension Concession Card
- Health Care Card
- Veterans Affairs Gold Card
- State Concession Card
- Centre Link Pensioner Concession Card
- Seniors Card.
Annual Temporary Concession holders must supply proof annually to receive the rebate.
Dog registration payments
Find out what fees you must pay to register your dog.
Payments can be made:
- at the Civic Centre, 165 Sir Donald Bradman Drive, Hilton
- by mail to; City of West Torrens, 165 Sir Donald Bradman Dr, Hilton SA 5033
- online (renewals only) at www.westtorrens.sa.gov.au
You can renew your dog registration online unless proof of concession is required.
Pay your dog registration renewal online.
How to update details of your dog
You need to advise us within 14 days and Complete a Change of dog details form pdf (70KB) if:
- You are relinquishing ownership to another person
- Your or your dog are moving premises
- Your dog has been missing for 72 hours or passed away
- Your contact details have changed.
Registration refunds are only available when we are notified within 14 days if:
- your dog has been registered but then passed away within the registration renewal period (1 July to 31 August of each year)
- your dog has passed away within one month of payment of registration being received.
To apply for a registration refund, complete a Dog Registration Refund Application. pdf (43KB)