From 1 July 2018 it will be compulsory for:
- All dogs and cats over a certain age to be microchipped.
- All new generations of dogs and cats (born after 1 July 2018) to be desexed. (Exemptions apply for working dogs, registered breeders etc.
These changes are designed to increase the likelihood of lost or impounded dogs and cats being reunited with their owners and reduce the number of unwanted and abandoned litters euthanised in pounds and shelters.
To help owners in microchipping their pets, a discounted microchip day will be held in early June.
- When: Saturday 2 June 2018
- Time: 9.30am - 5pm
- Where: West Torrens Memorial Gardens, 1 Brooker Terrace, Hilton
- Cost: $10 per animal
- Bookings via ChipBlitz from late April
Please ensure that all dogs are kept on a lead and cats in a cage. There will be no EFTPOS facilities so please have the correct money.
More information about changes to animal management laws.