Facts on rate capping

Published on Wednesday 27 September 2017

Did you know that councils are responsible for delivering hundreds of services and facilities and look after around $22 billion worth of public assets?

Some of the many services we provide include:

  • street lighting
  • libraries
  • cultural programs
  • ovals and reserves
  • playgrounds
  • sporting facilities
  • aged care services
  • dog and cat management
  • community centres

.. not to mention the upkeep of roads, kerbs, stormwater and waste collection services!

Council rates make up about 70 per cent of revenue received by councils. The remaining 30 per cent is made up of government grants, user fees and other funding.

For an average Australian household, council rates equate to about $25 per week. In return, ratepayers have access to a large range of services and facilities.

Recently there has been a lot of discussion in the media about rate capping. This may sound like a good idea on the surface, however if future funds are limited, some of the services and resources councils provide will be in jeopardy.

To find out more and what you can do to help keep the range of services councils provide, visit the LGA SA website.

Information Local Government Association, SA

Back to listing