In order to support Council plan for future of our city and to meet the expectations of our community, we have a document which is our blueprint for where we are heading - the 'Towards 2025 Community Plan'.
First adopted in 2009, the plan provides Elected Members and staff with a guide of what's important to our community and helps us form the basis for all our activities. It is used to direct our annual planning process to ensure our long-term vision and aspirations are achieved. It also helps us in preparing and setting our budgets each year.
It is important that this plan is reviewed on a regular basis to make sure that we are on track and that the needs of the community are being met.
In 2013 the plan underwent a review, which involved considerable community participation, and since 2014 Council has been working towards the delivery of the updated plan.
Late last year Council undertook an audit to see how it was tracking against the community expectations captured in the plan and between December 2016 to February 2017 it was open for community consideration and feedback. While the feedback has now closed, further comments can be made to Council's City Strategy department.
The Community Plan has six broad themes:
- A community that embraces diversity.
- Active, healthy and learning communities.
- An engaged community.
- Environmentally sustainable development.
- Reduction of our ecological impact.
- Enhanced natural environment.
- A well-designed built environment.
- An attractive and functional open space network.
- Effective stormwater infrastructure.
- An accessible and reliable transport infrastructure.
- A thriving business environment.
- A vibrant city.
- Sustainable population growth.
- Sustainable financial management.
- Proactive asset management.
- Strong partnerships and working relationships.
- Leading governance and administration practices.
You can view a full copy of the plan here.