In April 2016 Parliament passed the Planning, Development and Infrastructure Act 2016 (PDI Act) to implement a new planning system which will replace the current system under the Development Act 1993. This new legislation introduces the biggest changes to the South Australian Planning System in 25 years and will affect how development applications are lodged and assessed.
New land use planning documents will be introduced to replace the Development Plan and South Australian Planning Strategy.
- Establishing an independent State Planning Commission.
- Establishing a new Community Engagement Charter.
- Delivering new planning tools for professionals and the public.
- Developing new, faster development assessment pathways and a planning professional accreditation system.
- Delivering an online planning portal as a one-stop-shop for planning information and lodging development applications
The new PDI Act will be implemented in stages during the next three to five years.
The City of West Torrens is continuing to undertake strategic planning and assess development applications under the current planning system, while preparing for the transition to the new legislation.
For more information on the implementation of the new planning system visit the Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure's SA Planning Portal.