Section 12 certificates

Before buying or selling a house you need to get a Section 12 Certificate. This is required under the Land and Business (Sale and Conveyancing) Act.

The certificate provides information about:

  • the zoning of the subject property
  • any approvals granted for the property
  • any outstanding notices or orders
  • special provisions such as if the property is heritage listed or prone to flooding.


Getting a certificate

We can provide a Section 12 Certificate when you supply us with the following information for the property you’re buying or selling:

  • the name of the person or company requesting the search (e.g. the applicant)
  • applicant contact details
  • property address
  • a copy of the Certificate of Title for the property
  • fee payment.

Note: it’s important to provide all the required information as incomplete applications are returned unprocessed.


Fees as from 1 July 2016

For each Certificate of Title search


Within one (1) business day


Within eight (8) business days


NOTE: if there is more than one Certificate of Title attached to the property being searched this fee will be charged for each individual Certificate of Title.



For a search relating to one (1) strata unit/community lot


For a search relating to two (2) strata units/community lots on the same strata/community plan


For a search relating to three (3) or more strata units/community lots on the same strata/community plan



Rates search (independent of Section 7 and 12 Property Search)



More information

Email a Development Assistant or phone 8416 6333, Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm.